The beginnings of the church came in 1902 when the Tweed River Methodist circuit was formed through the NSW Methodist Conference. They built a church for 150 people though there were only 10 Methodists. But the Tweed was a popular holiday spot!
Ministers from Murwillumbah ministered to Tweed Heads till 1918. In 1917 the Tweed Circuit was formed from the Murwillumbah circuit. The Tweed Circuit comprised of the preaching places at Tweed Heads, Cudgen, Bungalora, Piggabeen, Cokabi and Duranbah.
In 1929 Tweed Heads Circuit became part of the Coolangatta Circuit which continued until 1938 when Tweed Parish became a separate parish caring for people in Northern NSW near the border.
Coolangatta church began as a Methodist church in 1924. Its circuit extended to Burleigh Heads . It had a strong history of music and visiting Victorian lawn bowlers in the winter months. When the church was built at Elanora, Palm Beach, the minister moved there and the Coolangatta church almost became extinct.
At the beginning of the Uniting Church in 1977 there were parishes either side of the border. In June 1988 The Tweed Heads Uniting Parish and the Coolangatta Uniting Parish became one. Church life flourished and two ministers were employed from 1991. In 1992 it became evident that a new congregation should be formed at Banora point. Parish property was sold to fund the new church that was built in 1993.
The parish had experienced enormous growth from 1987-1993 where membership grew from 220 to 594. The parish was divided in the late 1990’s so that Banora point became a Congregation in its own right. Twin Towns Uniting Church now continues at the Coolangatta site.